You will complete the writing prompts below and also create art based on the prompt. Through writing about and creating art based on the prompts, you will:
- Demonstrate your understanding of the information in this module by using the concepts and definitions correctly.
Demonstrate critical thinking by analyzing, conceptualizing, synthesizing, and communicating the concepts in this module through both writing and creating art.
You are to complete both of the prompts listed below.
Prompt 1 - Writing: Photos Are Everywhere!
- Answer all of the questions
- Meet the writing specifications:
- 1.5 line spacing
- 12 point font
Visual information is the key in making social networking so popular. From digital cameras to smart phones, taking pictures has become an everyday experience for most of us. Write just a sentence or two about:
- How often do you take pictures?
- What device do you usually use to take them?
- How much attention do you devote to composition, lighting or arrangement in your pictures?
- How do you use the images?
- How do you think you can improve your photos?
Prompt 2 - Creating Art: Staged Reality Photograph
- Create a photograph based on the concept of Staged Reality
- You can use a smart phone, tablet, computer, or camera to take the photo
- Written statement, a few sentences about your intention, what is the story of your Staged Reality Photograph
We've all snapped selfies or quickly snapped a photo of something going on around us, now I want you to take the time to set the scene and purposefully try to communicate an idea through your photo! As you read in the module, Staged Reality photographs can imply a powerful narrative through just one image. I would like you to think about a story or idea that is meaningful to you and create a staged reality photograph depicting your story or idea!
Developing your narrative:
- I know this is a wide open prompt, take some time to ponder what you want to communicate via a photo. Is it an emotion? A surreal sense of space? A dream? An answer to a question? A hope? A hidden reality? What is the narrative you want to create? Be purposeful.
Set the Scene for your narrative, it's not about quickly snapping a photo:
- Think about the composition, sketching it out could help!
- Decide on where the focus will be
- Set the lighting
- Is there a sense of perspective
- What is the scale
- From what vantage point are you photographing (birds eye, worms eye, up close, far away?)
- You can use anything at your disposal: furniture, create a small diorama, objects, natural materials (leaves, plants)...
- Take multiple photos until you get exactly what you want!
What is the color balance of your Staged Reality Photograph:
- You can adjust / manipulate your photo on the device you use to photograph it
- Is your Staged Reality photograph in color or black/white or sepia or...?
Remember -- often what is most powerful is what is implied, what is NOT in the photo, what is left to the imagination to fill in!
You will receive all 50 points by meeting the specifications and the deadline.
- 20 points for the Written prompt
30 points for the Creating Art prompt, including written statement - what is the story of your Staged Reality Photograph